This PhD project is part of Core Project 6 on "Technology Adaption and impact" of the "Cluster of Excellence" PhenoRob: Robotics and Phenotyping for Sustainable Crop Production" financed by the German Research Foundation.
The core project 6 studies the adoption potential and related impacts of robotics and phenotyping (PhenoRob) technologies on agricultural development, welfare, and the environment at farm and landscape scales. It involves collaboration between agricultural economics and informatics and engages with projects across the whole cluster in order to understand the conditions under which PhenoRob technologies may contribute to sustainable agricultural transformation. As a key long-term output, we develop an agent-based model (ABM) of technology diffusion. The ABM serves as a virtual laboratory that allows us to explore the relevance of alternative economic theories and related empirical phenomena for the diffusion of PhenoRob-type technologies in crop production. The sub-project assesses impacts of novel PhenoRob technologies in German crop production at farm-scale based on bio-economic modeling to inform the ABM.
Our group contributes to core project 6 by:
Systematically collecting data on existing and emerging PhenoRob technologies in German crop production
Extending the bio-economic farm-scale model FarmDyn based on the collected data on PhenoRob technologies
Assessing the impact of PhenoRob technologies by simulations across farm samples with "FarmDyn" with regard to various sustainability indicators
Kuhn, T., Enders, A., Gaiser, T., Schäfer, D., Srivastava, A., Britz, W. (2019): Coupling crop and bio-economic farm modelling to evaluate the revised fertilization regulations in Germany, Agricultural Systems, Link.
Kuhn, T., Schäfer, D., Holm-Müller, K., Britz, W. (2019): On-farm compliance costs with the EU-Nitrates Directive: A modelling approach for specialized livestock production in northwest Germany, Agricultural Systems 173: 233-243, Link.
Britz W., Lengers, B,.Kuhn, T. and Schäfer, D. (2014): A highly detailed template model for dynamic optimization of farms - FARMDYN, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, Version September 2016, 147 pages.
This work is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) under Germany's Excellence Strategy - EXC 2070 - 390732324".
Last updated: Saturday, December 21, 2019
- New H2020 research project BATMODEL, 2020-2024
- Contribution to DFG Excellence cluster Phenorob, 2020-2024
- New H2020 research project MINDSTEP, 2019-2023
- New BMBF research project BEST, 2019-2022
- New BioSC research project Transform2Bio, 2019-2022
- GTAP research fellow award for Wolfgang Britz
- Aus unserer Forschung: Oekonomische und oekologische Bewertung eines Glyphosatverzichts am Beispiel der Silomaisproduktion in Nordrhein-Westfalen
- Long-term impacts of bio-based innovation in the chemical sector: a dynamic global perspective (2020) Nong, D., Escobar, N., Britz, W., Börner, J. (2020): Long-term impacts of bio-based innovation in the chemical sector: a dynamic global perspective, Journal of Cleaner Production, online 8th July 2020
- Linking Global CGE Models with Sectoral Models to Generate Baseline Scenarios: Approaches, Challenges, and Opportunities (2020) Delzeit, R., Beach, R., Britz, W., Chateau, J., Freund, F., Lefevre, J., Schuenemann, F., Sulser, T., van Ruijven, B., Weitzel, M., Willenbockel, D., Wojtowicz, K. (2020): Linking Global CGE Models with Sectoral Models to Generate Baseline Scenarios: Approaches, Challenges, and Opportunities, Journal of Global Economic Analysis 5(1): 162-195
- Can Food Waste Reduction in Europe Help to Increase Food Availability and Reduce Pressure on Natural Resources Globally? (2020) Jafari, Y., Britz, W., Dudu, H., Roson, R., Sartori, M. (2020): Can Food Waste Reduction in Europe Help to Increase Food Availability and Reduce Pressure on Natural Resources Globally?, German Journal of Agricultural Economics 69(2): 143-168
- Coupling crop and bio-economic farm modelling to evaluate the revised fertilization regulations in Germany (2019) Kuhn, T., Enders, A., Gaiser, T., Schäfer, D., Srivastava, A., Britz, W. (2019): Coupling crop and bio-economic farm modelling to evaluate the revised fertilization regulations in Germany , Agricultural Systems