- Research interest
- Academic education
- Professional Experience
- Publications and Conference Contributions
Dr. agr., Researcher
Phone: +49-228-73 2858
Fax: +49-228-73 4693
I am an Agricultural economist with a focus on applied econometrics and
machine learning. I am interested in the digitalization of agriculture,
particularly, in the use of Machine Learning to enhance agricultural
and the analysis of the social and environmental impacts of this process.
I am also working on Deep Learning methods for applied policy analysis.
- DFG Individual Grant: Empirical analysis of farm level spatial interactions and their role for aggregated policy impact analysis
- DFG Individual Grant: Development of a Bayesian estimator for non-stationary Markov transition probabilities and its application to EU farm structural change
|Doctorate degree in Agricultural Economics (Dr. agr.), University of Bonn
|Diploma in Agricultural Sciences (Dipl.-Ing. agr.), University of Bonn
|Research fellow, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, Department of Economic and Agricultural Policy, University of Bonn|
|DAAD Project-related Exchange (PPP) at the Norwegian Agricultural Economics Research Institute (NILF), Oslo, Norway|
|Visiting Scholar with Prof. Ron C. Mittelhammer, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA|
|Research Assistance, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, Department of Economic and Agricultural Policy, University of Bonn|
|Student Assistance, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, University of Bonn|
- Lecture "Advanced Applied Econometrics" (SS 2018)
- Support of exercises and parts of lecture "Advanced Applied Econometrics" (2014-2018 block course PhD Level, semester course Master level, University of Bonn)
- Support of the exercise to the lecture "Microeconomics" (WS 2014/15)
- "Advanced Econometrics Reading Seminar" (SS 2013; University of Hohenheim)
- Parts of the lecture "Applied Econometrics" (WS 2012/13; University of Hohenheim)
- "Advanced Applied Econometrics" (SS 2011)
- Exercise to the lecture "Simulation Models for Policy Analysis" (WS 2009/10)
Saint-Cyr, L., Storm, H., Heckelei, T. and Piet, L. (forthcoming): Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany. European Review of Agricultural Economics. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1093/erae/jby029 .
Bassey, N. E., Kuhn, A. and Storm, H. (2018): Are maize marketers averse to quality loss in supplies? A case study from Ghana. Agricultural Economics. Accepted Author Manuscript 49(5):649-658. doi:10.1111/agec.12449
Storm H., Heckelei, T. (2018): Reducing omitted variable bias in spatial interaction models by considering multiple neighbourhoods. Spatial Economic Analysis 13(4):457-472. doi:10.1080/17421772.2018.1468571
Mittenzwei, K., Storm H., Heckelei, T. (2017): Farm labour and farm income: Case Study from Norway. In: Mishra, A. K., Viaggi, D., Gomez y Paloma, S. (ed.) Public Policy in Agriculture Impact on Labor Supply and Household Income, Routledge. Link.
Rasch, S., T. Heckelei, H. Storm, R. Oomen and C. Naumann (2017): Multi-scale resilience of a communal rangeland system in South Africa. Ecological Economics 131:129-138. Link.
Storm, H., T. Heckelei and R.C. Mittelhammer (2016): Bayesian estimation of non-stationary Markov models combining micro and macro data. European Review of Agricultural Economics, 43(2):303-329. doi:10.1093/erae/jbv018
Storm, H., T. Heckelei, M. Espinosa and S. Gomez y Paloma (2015): Short Term Prediction of Agricultural Structural Change using Farm Accountancy Data Network and Farm Structure Survey Data. German Journal of Agricultural Economics, 64(3).
Storm, H., K. Mittenzwei and T. Heckelei (2015): Direct payments, spatial competition and farm survival in Norway. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 97(4):1192-1205. doi:10.1093/ajae/aau085
Storm, H., T. Heckelei and C. Heidecke (2011): Estimating irrigation water demand in the Moroccan Drâa Valley using contingent valuation. Journal of Environmental Management, 92(10):2803-2809. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.06.027Project Reports
Gocht, A., N. Röder, S. Neuenfeldt, H. Storm, T. Heckelei (2012): Modelling farm structural change: A feasibility study for ex-post modelling utilizing FADN and FSS data in Germany and developing an ex-ante forecast module for the CAPRI farm type layer baseline. JRC Scientific and Policy Reports, 25555 EN. LinkWorking papers and conference contributions
Saint-Cyr, L., Storm, H., Heckelei, T. and Piet, L. (2017): Heterogeneity And Spatial Interdependence In Farm Survival: Evidence From Brittany. International Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE), August 28-September 1, 2017, Parma, Italy. Link .
Bassey, N., Kuhn, A., Storm, H. (2017): Marketers Consciousness for Quality Loss Reduction: A Case from Maize Marketers in Ghana. Tropentag 2017, September 20 - 22, Bonn, Germany. Link .
Storm, H., and T. Heckelei (2016): Using Multiple Neighboring Interaction Effects in Spatial Regression Specifications to Reduce Omitted Variable Bias. Paper presented at the 56th Annual Conference of the German Association of Agricultural Economists, Bonn, Germany, September 28-30, 2016. Link .
Zavelberg, Y. and H. Storm (2016): Pricing behaviour of cooperatives and investor-owned dairies in a spatial market setting. Discussion Paper 2016:2, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, University of Bonn. Link .
Storm, H. and T. Heckelei (2016): Local and regional spatial interactions of Norwegian farm growth. Paper presented at the 2016 AAEA Annual Meetings, Boston, Massachusetts, July 31-August 2, 2016. Link
Storm, H. and T. Heckelei (2015): Local and regional spatial interactions in the analysis of Norwegian farm growth. Paper presented at the 150th EAAE Seminar, Edinburgh, UK, October 22-23, 2015. Link
Zavelberg, Y. and H. Storm (2015): Pricing behaviour of cooperatives and investor-owned dairies in a spatial market setting. Paper presented at the 150th EAAE Seminar, Edinburgh, UK, October 22-23, 2015. Link
Storm, H., T. Heckelei and R.C. Mittelhammer (2014): Bayesian estimation of non-stationary Markov models combining micro and macro data. Paper presented at the 2014 EAAE International Congress, August 26-29, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia. Link
Storm, H., K. Mittenzwei and T. Heckelei (2013): Direct payments, spatial competition and farm survival in Norway. Paper presented at the 2013 AAEA Annual Meetings, Washington, DC, August 4-6, 2013. Link
Storm, H. and K. Mittenzwei (2013): Farm survival and direct payments in the Norwegian farm sector, Norwegian Agricultural Economics Research Institute, Discussion paper 2013-5 Link
Storm, H. and T. Heckelei (2012): Predicting agricultural structural change using census and sample data. Poster presented at the 2012 AAEA Annual Meetings, Seattle, Washington, August 12-14 . Link
Storm, H., T. Heckelei and R.C. Mittelhammer (2011): Bayesian estimation of non-stationary Markov models combining micro and macro data. Discussion Paper 2011:2, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, University of Bonn.
Storm, H. and T. Heckelei (2011): Bayesian estimation of non-stationary Markov models combining micro and macro data. Poster presented at the 2011 AAEA Annual Meetings, Pittsburgh, USA, July 24-26. Link
Storm, H. and T. Heckelei (2011): Bayesian estimation of non-stationary Markov models combining micro and macro data. Paper presented at the 2011 EAAE PhD Workshop, Nitra, Slovak Republic, April 27-29.
Storm, H., T. Heckelei and C. Heidecke (2010): Demand Estimation for Irrigation Water in the Moroccan Drâa Valley using Contingent Valuation. Discussion Paper 2010:1, Institute for Food and Resource Economics, University of Bonn.
Storm, H., Heidecke, C. (2009): Willingness to pay for irrigation water in the Drâa Valley in Morocco: An application of the contingent valuation method, Poster presented at the conference: Global Change in Africa, IMPETUS-Conference, Cologne, Germany, June 6-4.Monographs
Storm, H. (2014): Methods of analysis and empirical evidence of farm structural change. Dissertation, University of Bonn, URN: urn:nbn:de:hbz:5n-37174.
Last updated: Wednesday, January 02, 2019
- Research meetings must be more sustainable Sanz-Cobena, A., Alessandrini, R., Bodirsky, B. L., Springmann, M., Aguilera, E., Amon, B., Bartolini, F., Geupel, M., Grizzetti, B., Kugelberg, S., Latka, C., Liang, X., Milford, A. B., Musinguzi, P., Ng, E. L., Suter, H., Leip, A. (2020): Nature Food 1: 187-189.Paying the price for environmentally sustainable and healthy EU diets Latka, C., Kuiper, M., Frank, S., Heckelei, T., Havlik, P., Witzke, H.-P., Leip, A., Cui, H. D., Kuijsten, A., Geleijnse, J. M., van Dijk, M. (2021): Global Food Security 28: 10 pages.Long-Term Scenarios for Sub-Saharan Africa’s Agro-Food Markets with varying Population, Income and Crop Productivity Trends Kuhn, A., Britz, W. (2021): Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 46(1): 20-36.Integration of various dimensions in food-based dietary guidelines via mathematical approaches Report of a DGE/FENS Workshop in Bonn, Germany Schäfer, A. C., Schmidt, A., Bechthold, A., Boeing, H. ., Watzl, B., Darmon, N., Devleesschauwer, B., Heckelei, T., Pires, S. M., Nadaud, P., van Dooren, C., Vieux, F. (2020): British Journal of Nutrition: 1-18.Mitigating the impacts of floods using adaptive and resilient coping strategies: The role of the emergency Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty program (LEAP) in Ghana Tabe-Ojong, M. P. J., Boakye, J. A., Muliro, M. (2020): Journal of Environmental Management 270: 8 pages.Production and supply of tomato in Cameroon: Examination of the comparative effect of price and non-price factors Tabe-Ojong, M. P. J., Molua, E. L., Nzie, J. R. M., Fuh, G. L. (2020): Scientific African 10: 13 pages.Production, consumption and market diversification of grain legumes in the humid forest agroecology of cameroon Tabe-Ojong, M. P. J., Molua, E. L., Ngoh, S. B., Beteck, S. E. (2021): Sustainable Production and Consumption 27: 193–202.(Dynamic) willingness to pay and e-commerce: Insights from sparkling wine sector in Russia Fedoseeva, S. (2020): Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 57: 12 pagesCharacterizing Farmers and Farming System in Kilombero Valley Floodplain, Tanzania Gebrekidan, B. H., Heckelei, T., Rasch, S. (2020): Sustainability 12(7114): 1-21.Market and Welfare Impact Assessment of the Target Price-Based Subsidy Program in the Chinese Cotton Market Shang, L., Jafari, Y., Heckelei, T. (2020): Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development (AJAD) 17.1: 53-70.Can Food Waste Reduction in Europe Help to Increase Food Availability and Reduce Pressure on Natural Resources Globally? Jafari, Y., Britz, W., Dudu, H., Roson, R., Sartori, M. (2020): German Journal of Agricultural Economics 69(2): 143-168.Modelling food security: Bridging the gap between the micro and the macro scale Müller, B., Hoffmann, F., Heckelei, T., Müller, C., Hertel, T. W., Polhill, J. G., van Wijk, M., Achterbosch, T., Alexander, P., Brown, C., Kreuer, D., Ewert, F., Ge, J., Millington, J. D. A., Seppelt, R., Verburg, P. H., Webber, H. (2020): Global Environmental Change 63: 16 pages.Forecasting International Sugar Prices: A Bayesian Model Average Analysis Amrouk, E. M., Heckelei, T. (2020): Sugar Tech: 11 pages.Brexit: an economy-wide impact assessment on trade, immigration, and foreign direct investment Jafari, Y., Britz, W. (2020): Empirica 47(1): 17-52.Efficiency differentials in resource-use among smallholder cassava farmers in southwestern Cameroon Molua, E. L., Tabe-Ojong, M. P., Meliko, M. O., Nkenglefac, M. F., Akamin, A. (2019): Development in Practice: 11 pages.New insights on efficiency and productivity analysis: Evidence from vegetable-poultry integration in rural Tanzania Habiyaremye, N., Tabe-Ojong, M. P., Ochieng, J., Chagomoka, T. (2019): Scientific African 6(e00190): 11 pages.Explaining farm structural change in the European agriculture: a novel analytical framework Neuenfeldt, S., Gocht, A., Heckelei, T., Ciaian, P. (2019): European Review of Agricultural Economics 46(5): 713-768.Machine learning in agricultural and applied economics Storm, H., Baylis, K., Heckelei, T. (2019): European Review of Agricultural Economics, jbz033: 44 pagesInterdependence between cash crop and staple food international prices across periods of varying financial market stress Amrouk, E. M., Grosche, S., Heckelei, T. (2019): Applied Economics: 16 pages.