zurück zur Hauptseite
Research on the analysis of agricultural and food markets, with a focus on trade policies
Our research on trade policy analysis and more generally market analysis applies a wide range of methodological aproaches, such as different econometric approaches to estimate e.g. gravity models or applications of global equilibrium models. A specific focus is on non-tariff measures (NTMs) and the analysis of the impacts of bilateral trade agreements. The research is closely related to our research line on Policy impact assessment of the Common Agricultural Policy and related policy fields.
A recent extension to the research line relates to price dynamics in food markets. As far as the research lines overlaps with analysis of dairy markets or trade in dairy products, related research is described in the resarch line on dairy.
- Research on regulatory impacts (NTMs)
- Differences in agri-food product labelling across selected countries and comparison of different indices to describe regulatory systems: Presentation at IAMO-IATRC Forum 2014, work by Christine Wieck
- Technical barriers to trade: Effects on revenue and surplus. Common work by Nogueira, L., Chouinard, H., Marsh, T., Wieck, C. Selected Paper presented at WAEA Annual Meeting 2014, June 22-24, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Analysis of international heterogeneity in Genetically Modified product regulation: evaluating the impact on trade and welfare, common work between Christine Wieck and Rosane Nunes de Faria from the Federal University of Sao Carlos, Brazil
- Measuring the extent of GMO asynchronous approval using regulatory dissimilarity indices: the case of maize and soybean.
- Analysis of the trade impact of asynchronous regulatory approval of new GMO events
Faria de Nunes, R., Wieck, C. (2015): Empirical evidence on the trade impact of asynchronous regulatory approval of new GMO events , Food Policy 53: 22-32 , Link.
- EU project SUSFANS (Metrics, Models and Foresight for European SUStainable Food And Nutrition Security, 2015-2018, Horizon 2020)
- Dissertation project Stephanie Grosche on Price effects from the financialization of agricultural commodity markets, which applies time series econometrics and "heterogenous agent models".
- Dissertation project Mihaly Himics on Trade policy representations in applied equilibrium models, which covers the further development of welfare consistent aggregators for trade policy instruments and extensions to allow for zero trade flows to the widely used Armington assumptions.
- Agri-investment trends in selected vulnerable countries, common work by Christine Wieck, Bettina Rudloff, and Angela Heucher
- Research on regulatory impacts (NTMs)
- NTM-Impact project (Assessment of the impacts of non-tariff measures project, 2009-2011, EU Research Framework Program FP7, with the finalized dissertation project by Simon Schlüter on Impact of regulatory measures on international trade in meat products
Wieck, C., Schlüter, S. W., Britz, W. (2012): Assessment of the Impact of Avian Influenza Related Regulatory Policies on Poultry Meat Trade and Welfare , The World Economy 35(8): 1037-1052 , Link.
Winchester, N., Rau, M.-L., Götz, C., Larue, B., Otsuki, T., Shutes, K., Wieck, C., Burnquist, H. L., Pinto de Souza, M. J., Nunes de Faria, R. (2012): The Impact of Regulatory Heterogeneity on Agri-food Trade, The World Economy 35(8): 973–993 , Link.
Heckelei, T., Swinnen, J. (2012): Introduction to the Special Issue of the World Trade Review on ‘standards and non-tariff barriers in trade’ , World Trade Review 11(3): 353-355 , Link.
Wieck, C., Holland, D. (2010): The Economic Effect of the Canadian BSE Outbreak on the U.S. Economy , Applied Economics 42(8): 935-946 , Link.
Wieck, C., Rudloff, B. (2007): The Bioterrorism Act of the USA and international food trade: Evaluating WTO an bilateral import effects , Agrarwirtschaft 56(3): 147-160.
- Dissertation project by by Christian Goetz on Economic incentives of the WTO dispute settlement system with an empirical focus on the agro-food sector (2012)
Götz, C., Heckelei, T., Rudloff, B. (2010): What makes countries initiate WTO disputes on food-related issues?, Food Policy 35(2): 154-162 , Link.
- EU-Mercopol project (Impacts of Free Trade Agreements between EU and Mercosur Countries, 2005-2008, EU Research Framework Program FP6,
with the finalized dissertation project by Franziska Junker on Trade liberalisation between the EU and the Mercosur countries
Junker, F., Heckelei, T. (2012): TRQ-complications: who gets the benefits when the EU liberalizes Mercosur's access to the beef markets? , Agricultural Economics 43(2): 215-231 , Link.
- EU-MedAgPol project (Impacts of Free Trade Agreements between EU and Mediterrean Countries, 2004-2007, EU Research Framework Program FP6)
Piketty, M.-G., Weißleder, L., Meirelles de Souza Filho, H., Otávio Batalha, M., Adenäuer, M., Becker, A. (2009): Assessing agricultural trade policies options with European Union: A Brazilian perspective , Agricultural Economics 40: 447-457 , Link.
Other related publications
Grosche, S. (2014): What Does Granger Causality Prove? A Critical Examination of the Interpretation of Granger Causality Results on Price Effects of Index Trading in Agricultural Commodity Markets , Journal of Agricultural Economics 65(2): 279–302 , Link.
Mittenzwei, K., Britz, W., Wieck, C. (2014): Does the “green box” of the European Union distort global markets?, Bio-based and Applied Economics 3(1): 1-20 , Link.
Hartmann, M., Rudloff, B., Heckelei, T. (2008): Introduction, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development 4(1): 1-3.
Kuhn, A. (2005): A CGE Analysis of Trade Costs in the Russian Agro-Food Sector, Agricultural Economics 33: 79-90 , Link.
Conference contributions and other publications
Grosche, S., Heckelei, T. (2014):
Price dynamics and financialization effects in corn futures markets with heterogeneous traders.
Discussion Paper 2014:5.
Download: Discussion Paper.
Grosche, S., Heckelei, T. (2014):
Directional Volatility Spillovers between Agricultural, Crude Oil, Real Estate and other Financial Markets.
Discussion Paper 2014:4.
Download: Discussion Paper.
Himics M., Britz W. (2014): Welfare consistent tariff aggregators at different geographical resolutions: a bilateral perspective,, selected paper presented at the Annual Conference of the European Trade Study Group, 11-13 August, 2014, Munich, Germany Link.
Adenäuer, M., Britz, W., Heckelei, T. (2014): FAOSTAT Data Bases for Agriculture: An (economic modeling) User’s perspective, selected paper presented at the Global Land Project 2nd Open Sciene Meeting, Session No 76, Berlin – 21.03.2014, Berlin (Germany).
Himics, M., Britz, W. (2013): Trade Diversion Effects of Preferential Trade Agreements Under Tariff Rate Quota Regimes, selected paper presented at the EAAE 135th Seminar, Belgrade (Serbia) , Link.
Heckelei, T. (2012): Global Data Bases for Trade and Development: A User's Perspective, invited paper presented at the Pre-Conference Workshop „Global Data Bases for Trade and Development” 26.September 2012, 52nd GEWISOLA, September 26 - 28, 2012, Hohenheim (Germany).
Gervais, J.-P., Larue, B., Otsuki, T., Rau, M.-L., Shutes, K., Wieck, C., Winchester, N. (2011): New Data and Analysis on Non-tariff Measures in Agri-food Trade, selected paper presented at the American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting 2011, July 24 - 26, 2011, Pittsburgh, PA (USA).
Last updated: Tuesday, August 18, 2015
- Theodor-Brinkmann-Award 2017 for Dr. Sebastian Rasch
- Exam dates summer term 2017
- Economic and Agricultural Policy Group contribution to 2017 EAAE congress
- Climate change impacts on crop yields, land use and environment in response to crop sowing dates and thermal time requirements Zimmermann, A., Webber, H., Zhao, G., Ewert, F., Kros, H., Wolf, J., Britz, W. and de Vries, W. (2017):
"Climate change impacts on crop yields, land use and environment in response to crop sowing dates and thermal time requirements", Agricultural Systems 157, p. 81-92Effect of off-farm income on smallholder commercialization: panel evidence from rural households in Ethiopia Woldeyohanes, T. B., Heckelei, T. and Surry, Y. (2017):
"Effect of off-farm income on smallholder commercialization: panel evidence from rural households in Ethiopia", Agricultural Economics 48(2), p. 207-218Metrics, models and foresight for European sustainable food and nutrition security: The vision of the SUSFANS project Rutten, M., Achterbosch, T., de Boer, I., Crespo Cuaresma, J., Geleijnse, M., Havlik, P., Heckelei, T., Ingram, J. S., Leip, A., Marette, S., van Meijl, H., Soler, L. -G., Swinnen, J. F., van't Veer, P., Vervoort, J., Zimmermann, A., Zimmermann, K. and Zurek, M. (2016):
"Metrics, models and foresight for European sustainable food and nutrition security: The vision of the SUSFANS project", Agricultural Systems (in press)Assessing the resilience of a real-world social-ecological system: lessons from a multidisciplinary evaluation of a South African pastoral system Linstädter, A., Kuhn, A., Naumann, C., Rasch, S., Sandhage-Hofmann, A., Amelung, W., Jordaan, J., Du Preez, C. and Bollig, M.(2016):
"Assessing the resilience of a real-world social-ecological system: lessons from a multidisciplinary evaluation of a South African pastoral system", Ecology and Society 23(3)Impact of biofuel development on Malaysian agriculture: a comparative statics, multicommodity, multistage production, partial equilibrium approach Jafari, Y. and Othman, J.(2016):
"Impact of biofuel development on Malaysian agriculture: a comparative statics, multicommodity, multistage production, partial equilibrium approach ", Food and Energy SecurityUncertainty in future irrigation water demand and risk of crop failure for maize in Europe Webber, H., Gaiser, T., Oomen, R., Teixeira, E., Zhao, G., Wallach, D., Zimmermann, A., Ewert, F. (2016):
"Uncertainty in future irrigation water demand and risk of crop failure for maize in Europe", Environmental Research Letters 11(7)Directional Volatility Spillovers Between Agricultural, Crude Oil, Real Estate, and Other Financial Markets Grosche, S. and Heckelei, T.(2016):
"Directional Volatility Spillovers Between Agricultural, Crude Oil, Real Estate, and Other Financial Markets", in: Kalkuhl, M., von Braun, J. and Torero, M. (eds.), Food Price Volatility and Its Implications for Food Security and Policy: 183 - 205, Springer