- Projects with External Funds
- Current Dissertation Projects
- Finalized Dissertations
- Quantitative Economic Simulation Tools
- Projects with External Funds
- Research Areas until 2002
Assessment of the impacts of non-tariff measures - NTMs on the competitiveness of the EU and selected partners
The 2.5-year research project (2009-2011) NTM-Impact financed by the EU under the 7th framework program aims at collecting and analyzing new data on non-tariff measures (NTMs), particularly on governmental standards and regulations that prescribe the conditions for importing agri-food products into the EU market and into the markets of the main competing players. Furthermore, impacts from EU and trade partner NTMs on least developed country exports are examined.
The project will deliver the following results:
1. An analytical framework for defining measures, methods, products and countries.
2. A data base on NTMs in EU, USA, Canada, Japan, China, India, Brazil, Argentina, Australia, Russia and New Zealand.
3. Comparative analyses on the impact of NTMs on agri-food trade of the EU vs. competitors.
4. Policy recommendations from case studies for quantifying NTMs on fruits and vegetables, meat and dairy trade clusters with the EU and competing trade partners.
5. Policy recommendations from case studies on the impacts of EU and trade partner private and public standards in LDCs.
6. Timely dissemination of project results to key stakeholders
ILR's main tasks are
Design of the project's analytical framework, based on and adding to the state of current scientific knowledge, clearly specifying desired integration and possible synergies between WP's.
Meat trade cluster case study.
Project related journal publications:
Wieck, C., Schlueter, S. W., Britz, W. (2012).
Assessment of the Impact of Avian Influenza Related Regulatory Policies on Poultry Meat Trade and Welfare.
The World Economy 35(8): 1037-1052.
Winchester, N., Rau, M.L., Goetz,C., Larue, B., Otsuki, T., Shutes. K., Wieck, C., Burnquist, H.L., Pinto de Souza, M.J., Nunes de Faria, R. (2012).
The Impact of Regulatory Heterogeneity on Agri-food Trade.
The World Economy 35(8): 973-993.
Schlüter, S.W., Wieck, C., Heckelei, T. (2009).
Regulatory policies in meat trade: Is there evidence for least trade-distorting sanitary regulations?,
American Journal of Agricultural Economics 91 (5): 1484-1490. #
Other project output:
Wieck, C., Schlüter, S. W. und Britz, W. (2012): Assessment of the Impact of Avian Influenza Related Regulatory Policies on Poultry Meat Trade and Welfare
Discussion Paper 2012:2 Download....
Wieck, C. (2011).
Trade and income impacts of selected NTMs in the dairy, fruit and vegetables, and meat sector.
Presentation of NTM-IMPACT project results at the OECD/IPC expert workshop on "Non-Tariff Measures in Food and Agriculture: which road ahead?", 13.9.2011.
Gervais, J.-P., Larue, B., Otsuki, T., Rau, M.-L., Shutes, K., Wieck, C. und Winchester, N. (2011): New Data and Analysis on Non-tariff Measures in Agri-food Trade, selected paper presented at the American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting 2011, July 24 - 26, 2011, Pittsburgh, PA (USA).
Rau, M.-L., Shutes, K. und Wieck, C. (2011): Overview of the aggregate data collection and effects of NTMs, selected paper presented at the Organised Session "NTMs, Agricultural and Food Trade, and Competitiveness: Findings from the NTM-IMPACT Project", IATRC Annual Meeting "Agricultural Price Volatility, Trade Policy and Food Security in Developing Countries", December 11-13, St. Petersburg, FL (USA).
Wieck, C., Gervais, J.-P., Götz, C., Larue, B., Otsuki, T., Rau, M.-L., Shutes, K. und Winchester, N. (2011): NTM policy heterogeneity index and econometric analysis, selected paper presented at the European Association of Agricultural Economics Conference 2011, August 30th - September 2nd, 2011, Zurich (Switzerland).
Wieck, C., Schlüter, S. W. und Britz, W. (2011): Analysis of Avian Influenza Related Quarantine Policies and the Impact on Global Poultry Meat Trade and Welfare, selected paper presented at the Organised Case Study Session "NTMs, Agricultural and Food Trade, and Competitiveness: Findings from the NTM-IMPACT Project", IATRC Annual Meeting "Agricultural Price Volatility, Trade Policy and Food Security in Developing Countries", December 11-13, St. Petersburg, FL (USA).
Wieck, Christine: Competitiveness in meat trade: First results of case studies on NTM barriers. NTM Policy Seminar with EU Commission; Brussels. June 29, 2011.
Demaria, F., Rau, M. -L. and Schlüter, S. W. (2011): NTMs and gravity-type models: state of the art and analysis of literature, NTM-Impact Working Paper 11/01.
Rau, M.-L., Shutes, K. und Schlüter, S. W. (2010): Index of Heterogeneity of Requirements in International Agri-Food Trade, NTM-Impact Working Paper 10/01.
Schlüter, S. W. (2010): Project Pitch: NTM-Impact, selected paper presented at the S&T Cooperation between Japan and NRW - Funding opportunities in the European Framework Programme, 22.September 2010, Bonn (Germany).
Schlüter, S. W., Rau, M.-L., Humphrey, J., Colen, L. und Heckelei, T. (2009): Analytical Framework for the NTM-Impact Projekt, NTM-Impact Working Paper 09/02.
Last updated: Monday, September 23, 2019
- Machine learning in agricultural and applied economics Storm, H., Baylis, K., Heckelei, T. (2019): European Review of Agricultural Economics, jbz033: 44 pagesInterdependence between cash crop and staple food international prices across periods of varying financial market stress Amrouk, E. M., Grosche, S., Heckelei, T. (2019): Applied Economics: 16 pages.Household Welfare Implications of Better Fertilizer Access and Lower Use Inefficiency: Long-Term Scenarios for Ethiopia Engida, E., Srivastava, A. K., Kuhn, A., Gaiser, T. (2019): Sustainability 11 14(3952): 24 pages.International Interdependence between Cash Crop and Staple Food Futures Price Indices: A Dynamic Assessment Amrouk, E. M., Heckelei, T., Grosche, S. (2019): Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics: 1-22Economic Valuation of an Urban Lake Recreational Park: Case of Taman Tasik Cempaka in Bandar Baru Bangi, Malaysia Othman, J., Jafari, Y. (2019): Sustainability 11 (11)(3023): 15 pages.Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany Saint-Cyr, L. D. F., Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Piet, L. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics: Volume 46(2):237-266.Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany Saint-Cyr, L. D. F., Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Piet, L. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics: Volume 46(2):237-266.Conventionalization of Organic Farms in Germany: An Empirical Investigation Based on a Composite Indicator Approach Seidel, C., Heckelei, T., Lakner, S. (2019): Sustainability 11(10): 16 pages.The price of sanctions: An empirical analysis of German export losses due to the Russian agricultural ban Fedoseeva, S., Herrmann, R. (2019): Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics: 15 pages.
- The impacts to food consumers of a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Jafari, Y., Britz, W., Beckman, J. (2019): Bio-based and Appplied Economics 7(2).Coffee value chains on the move: Evidence in Ethiopia Minten, B., Dereje, M., Engida, E., Kuma, T. (2019): Evidence in Ethiopia, Food Policy 83: 370-383.Agricultural non-CO2 emission reduction potential in the context of the 1.5 °C target Frank, S., Havlik, P., Stehfest, E., van Meijl, H., Witzke, H.-P., Pèrez Dominguez, I., van Dijk, M., Doelman, J. C., Fellmann, T., Koopman, J. F. L., Tabeau, A., Valin, H. (2019): Nature Climate Change 9: 66-72.