Long-term developments in agricultural and food markets including climate change impacts
Within this research line we combine econometric analyses, e.g. of global yield gaps, with Bayesian based forecast exercises and partial equilibrium modelling. Particularly for climate change impact assessment, we further improve and apply the link of the CAPRI modelling system to bio-physical modelling - often in cooperation with the Institute for Crop Sciences and Resource Conservation. Some of the projects are also concerned with greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture.
Recent methodological work focuses on incorporating land supply and demand into CAPRI and improving the parameterization of CAPRI's demand components for long-term analyses.
Ongoing research projects
- MACSUR (Modelling European Agriculture with Climate Change for Food Security, 1st project phase 2012-2015, JPI-FACCE)
- EU project SUSFANS (Metrics, Models and Foresight for European SUStainable Food And Nutrition Security, 2015-2018, Horizon 2020)
- GLUES (Global Assessment of Land Use dynamics on Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Ecosystem Services, BMBF, 2010-2015)
- Contribution to WP 6 (policy relevant applications, since 2012) of LIAISE (Network of Excellence in the European Research Framework Program 7 on Impact Assesssment, 2009-2014) with an application on Climate Change Impacts on European agriculture and possible adaptation measures
- EC4MACS (European Consortium for Modelling of Air Pollution and Climate Strategies, EU-Life program, 2007-2012)
Delince, J., Ciaian, P., Witzke, H.-P. (2015): Economic impacts of climate change on agriculture: the AgMIP approach , Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 9(1) , Link.
Shrestha, S. ., Ciaian, P., Himics, M., van Doorslaer, B. (2013): Impacts of climate change on EU agriculture, Review of Agricultural and Applied Economics 16(2): 24-39 , Link.
Conference contributions, reports
Heckelei, T. (2015): Model change for Climate Change? Challenges and opportunities for economic modelling, invited paper presented at the MACSUR Conference 2015, “Integrated Climate Risk Assessment in Agriculture & Food, April 8-9, 2015, Reading (UK).
Frank, S., Witzke, P., Zimmermann, A., Havlik, P., Ciaian, P. (2014): Climate Change Impacts on European Agriculture: A Multi Model Perspective, Selected paper presented at the 14zh EAAE-Congress, August 26-29, Ljubljana (Slovenia).
Ciscar, J., Feyen, L., Soria, A., Lavalle, C., Raes, F., Perry, M., Nemry, F., Demirel, H., Rozsai, M., Dosio, A., Donatelli, M., Shrestha, S. ., Ciaian, P., Himics, M., van Doorslaer, B. (2014): Climate Impacts in Europe. The JRC PESETA II project, in: European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Report EUR 26586 EN, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2014 Download , Link.
Adenäuer, M., Wieck, C., Witzke, H.-P. (2013): Global land use change: Intensification or extensification? Selected paper presented at the 133rd EAAE-Seminar, June 14-15, 2013, Chania (Greece).
Stocco, L., Adenäuer, M., Zimmermann, A. (2013): Global land use response in agricultural sector models: estimating supply and area response in Argentina, selected paper presented at the 133rd EAAE-Seminar, June 14-15, 2013, Chania (Greece).
Britz, W., Adenäuer, M., Heckelei, T. (2013): Exploring New Ideas for Trade and Agriculture Model Integration for Assessing the Impacts of Climate Change on Food Security , selected paper presented at the International Workshop "Food Security Assessment with CAPRI", March 3-5,2013, Haifa (Israel).
Witzke, H.-P., Frank, S., Zimmermann, A., Havlik, P., Ciaian, P. (2013): The impact of climate change on food security, Poster presented at the First International Conference on Global Food Security 2013, September 29 - October 2,2013, Noordwijkerhout (The Netherlands).
de Vries, W., Wolf, J., Britz, W., Adenäuer, M., Enders, A., Kanellopoulos, A., Van Ittersum, M., Kros, H., Reinds, G. J. (2013): Agricultural adaptation to climate Change under different policy environments: an integrated assessment of impacts , selected paper presented at the ECCA Conference 2013, March 18 - 20, 2013, Hamburg (Germany).
Wolf, J., Reidsma, P., Schaap, B., Mandryk, M., Kanellopoulos, A., Ewert, F., van Oort, P., Angulo, C., Rumbaur, C., Lock, R., Enders, A., Adenäuer, M., Heckelei, T., Rötter, R., Fronzek, S., Carter, T. R. ., Verhagen, A., Van Ittersum, M. (2012): Assessing the adaptive capacity of agriculture in the Netherlands to the impacts of climate change under different market and policy scenarios (AgriAdapt project) , Link.
Last updated: Thursday, November 07, 2019
- Machine learning in agricultural and applied economics Storm, H., Baylis, K., Heckelei, T. (2019): European Review of Agricultural Economics, jbz033: 44 pagesInterdependence between cash crop and staple food international prices across periods of varying financial market stress Amrouk, E. M., Grosche, S., Heckelei, T. (2019): Applied Economics: 16 pages.Household Welfare Implications of Better Fertilizer Access and Lower Use Inefficiency: Long-Term Scenarios for Ethiopia Engida, E., Srivastava, A. K., Kuhn, A., Gaiser, T. (2019): Sustainability 11 14(3952): 24 pages.International Interdependence between Cash Crop and Staple Food Futures Price Indices: A Dynamic Assessment Amrouk, E. M., Heckelei, T., Grosche, S. (2019): Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics: 1-22Economic Valuation of an Urban Lake Recreational Park: Case of Taman Tasik Cempaka in Bandar Baru Bangi, Malaysia Othman, J., Jafari, Y. (2019): Sustainability 11 (11)(3023): 15 pages.Heterogeneous impacts of neighbouring farm size on the decision to exit: evidence from Brittany Saint-Cyr, L. D. F., Storm, H., Heckelei, T., Piet, L. (2018): European Review of Agricultural Economics: Volume 46(2):237-266.Conventionalization of Organic Farms in Germany: An Empirical Investigation Based on a Composite Indicator Approach Seidel, C., Heckelei, T., Lakner, S. (2019): Sustainability 11(10): 16 pages.The price of sanctions: An empirical analysis of German export losses due to the Russian agricultural ban Fedoseeva, S., Herrmann, R. (2019): Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics: 15 pages.
- The impacts to food consumers of a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Jafari, Y., Britz, W., Beckman, J. (2019): Bio-based and Appplied Economics 7(2).Coffee value chains on the move: Evidence in Ethiopia Minten, B., Dereje, M., Engida, E., Kuma, T. (2019): Evidence in Ethiopia, Food Policy 83: 370-383.Agricultural non-CO2 emission reduction potential in the context of the 1.5 °C target Frank, S., Havlik, P., Stehfest, E., van Meijl, H., Witzke, H.-P., Pèrez Dominguez, I., van Dijk, M., Doelman, J. C., Fellmann, T., Koopman, J. F. L., Tabeau, A., Valin, H. (2019): Nature Climate Change 9: 66-72.